Request for online fellow players (Conquest, 2-player)

Online-Spielpartner für Conquest gesucht
Klaus

Re: Request for online fellow players (Conquest, 2-player)

Post by Klaus »

Hi Tom,
tomsgamer17111 wrote:I was thinking that I'd check out the Conquest tool and see if I could just throw in the graphics into Vassal, map the spaces so that you can generate logging messages as pieces move from one space to the next, and a few add-ons (e.g. a counter for moves left, shortcuts to remove captured pieces, marker to show where a capture occurred for signaling recapture).
Sounds good!! Improve the tool, Tom! It would be great... Klaus
Special Grand Conquest characters you could deeply need on www.conquest-forum.de :

π building
Δ catapult shot
Ω takeover of an enemy camel or ship
x capture/sinking of a ship
tomsgamer17111

Post by tomsgamer17111 »

I have finished a rough-grade Vassal module for classic 2-player Conquest, and hope I can try it out soon.

Vassal is a free (open source) tool that allows boardgames to be adapted for both play by email and real-time online play. There are other tools available and some are fancier, but this is free and has an extremely large library of modules. The condition of use is that at least one of the players owns a physical copy of the game.

Unlike the GIMP tool, you record your turn as you make moves. This allows your opponent to see the actual movement of pieces and for the logging of comments during play.

Before responding with interest to play, you'll need to install the Vassal application (free - open source) and use it to load the Conquest 2-player game module.

Link to Vassal website (to download program): http://www.vassalengine.org/index.php
Link to Game Module: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/773dwiriwl8t ... Groea?dl=0
(note: this link may be removed at a later date)

Be sure to read the help files, including the one specific for Conquest tips.
Let me know of any questions, suggestions or problems.
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hi Tom,
tomsgamer17111 wrote:I have finished a rough-grade Vassal module for classic 2-player Conquest, and hope I can try it out soon.
Wonderful, I'm very nosy!!
tomsgamer17111 wrote:Vassal is a free (open source) tool that allows boardgames to be adapted for both play by email and real-time online play. There are other tools available and some are fancier, but this is free and has an extremely large library of modules. The condition of use is that at least one of the players owns a physical copy of the game.
I like open source software, too..... I own several copies of the physical game "Conquest", so this condition won't be a problem. But there's another condition, Tom. I have to obtain the approval of Patrick Stevens, the chief of Numbskullgames and copyright holder of "Grand Conquest". "Grand Conquest" is Donald Benge's further development of "Conquest". I'm optimistic that Patrick will agree to it. Maybe you will know that Donald Benge died years ago and his game "Conquest" wasn't published for decades!
tomsgamer17111 wrote:Unlike the GIMP tool, you record your turn as you make moves. This allows your opponent to see the actual movement of pieces and for the logging of comments during play.
very interesting...........

I've downloaded the game module and will test it tomorrow. I asked Andreas to hold the first match with you. But he is not able to play at this time. So we will play, Tom. Fine! :D

Klaus
Special Grand Conquest characters you could deeply need on www.conquest-forum.de :

π building
Δ catapult shot
tomsgamer17111

Post by tomsgamer17111 »

Hi Klaus,

Sounds good. I wasn't aware that standard Conquest was out of print and essentially replaced by Grand Conquest.
Certainly module publication and availability is controlled by the copywriter holder.

In any event, I'll stay tuned in for updates.

All the best,
Tom
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hi Tom,

good news: Patrick Stevens agrees with the publication of Conquest on vassalengine.org (copyright: Numbskull Games LLC). The conditions are complied!
So I tested your game module. It's really fine...
Maybe you can realize some modifications.
1. Is it possible to place only the map on the left side of the display in such a manner that each (of the two) players is looking at the map from his special perspective? The own castle is located at the bottom of the map, the other castle at the top.
If each player could change the initial perspective it would be a nice addition (looking from the perspective of the opponent). On the right side of the display, if possible, could be placed the turn logging and server options...

2. Is it possible to make the soldiers more transparent if they are riding an elephant or sitting on a chariot? In my opinion it's important that the players can recognize all the pieces of a stack clearly and not only when you mouse over each stack.

3. So far one can't distinguish a galleon from a normal boat if they are staffed.

I will continue testing, Tom. Nice work...
Kind regards

Klaus

π building
Δ catapult shot
tomsgamer17111

Post by tomsgamer17111 »

Hi Klaus,

Thanks for the great news and extend my thanks to Patrick.

Unfortunately, Vassal doesn't have the capability of displaying the map from more than one perspective at this time. The Vassal application developers have wanted to do this (e.g. North sees it one way, and South sees it with the board rotated 180 degrees). If they were to provide that capability, I suspect that the module developers would just get a new options and set it as desired.

I may be misinterpreting your request, after rereading. Were you just asking to have the entire board rotated 90 degrees? I can do that but will have to remap all the spaces. Not difficult but would take some time and would want to make sure this is what you'd like to see before spending the time to do so.

I think I can make the soldiers somewhat transparent, though they may not show up too well on when by themselves. That was the intent of my having them colored darker. I'll also try to give the Galleon stripes on the rims of the counter so they can be differentiated from ships.

I should have some time in the next few days to make those adjustments and you can provide feedback.

All the best,
Tom
tomsgamer17111

Post by tomsgamer17111 »

Hi Klaus,

I posted an updated module file using the original link. The only change I made is that I modified the Galleon pieces as follows:

1) Extended the flag higher, so that if a non-soldier piece is loaded, you can see the flag peeking out at the top of the piece.
2) Added a "G" to the far right of the Galleon for the same visibility.

I was able to make the soldiers transparent. They look fine when they are loaded on another piece, but the figure blends in with the number code printed on the map. So I've continued to use the original piece. Hopefully the color coding is sufficient. When a soldier is mounted on an elephant vs. charriot, you can still see the Charriot horse's head and the Elephant's head and part of its trunk. So I think as long as you know what you are looking for, you can interpret the map without mousing over or if it is printed as a jpg (where you cannot mouse over anymore).

All the best,
Tom
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hi Tom,
tomsgamer17111 wrote:Unfortunately, Vassal doesn't have the capability of displaying the map from more than one perspective at this time. The Vassal application developers have wanted to do this (e.g. North sees it one way, and South sees it with the board rotated 180 degrees). If they were to provide that capability, I suspect that the module developers would just get a new options and set it as desired.

I may be misinterpreting your request, after rereading. Were you just asking to have the entire board rotated 90 degrees? I can do that but will have to remap all the spaces. Not difficult but would take some time and would want to make sure this is what you'd like to see before spending the time to do so.
I understand it now, the restraint of Vassalengine. Since it isn't possible to tranfer each player's view from the physical board to the map of vassalengine (two perspectives), you should not change your module in this regard.
tomsgamer17111 wrote:I posted an updated module file using the original link. The only change I made is that I modified the Galleon pieces as follows:

Tom, I will have a look at that tomorrow. :-)

Kind regards

Klaus

π building
Δ catapult shot
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hi Tom,

at first I recommend to use only one colour per team. That's enough to distinguish the teams. Maybe the frame colours of the elephant...
Second in my opinion it's necessary to clearly see the pieces of a stack without having to mouse over them. Especially if you want to print out the position because you are playing by email. But not only in that case. It's better for a general overview.
Therefore I suggest:
Make the soldier much smaller. Could you omit the coloured frame of the soldier? If not make the circle much smaller so you can place two soldiers side by side on the elephant so it's possible to see the elephant and the two soldiers.
The mark of the galleon is ok.
If one plays by email it would be helpful to number all the pieces (soldiers from 1 to 10, elephant 1 - 4 ....) so you could easier recognize the moves of single pieces.

Kind regards

Klaus

π building
Δ catapult shot
tomsgamer17111

Post by tomsgamer17111 »

Hi Klaus,

Vassal "stacks" the pieces so if you place two soldiers on top of an elephant, they will appear as one soldier. I think I can come up with a routine that will allow the two soldier pieces to be substituted with a new marker that shows two soldiers side-by-side, and a routine to reverse that when you want to unload. I"ll play with that to see if I can get that to work.

I like differentiating the naval and land pieces by a slight color gradient change. The size of the soldiers if smaller would make it easier to differentiate them from the "major" pieces, so I can change those to being the same color. I'll keep the naval pieces a different color (my preference) but will try to adjust the color so they are a little closer to being the same color.

I can place a numeric counter on the pieces similar to what is in the Conquest tool. I can mark all pieces with their code letter as a convention as well.

All the best,
Tom