Request for online fellow players (Conquest, 2-player)

Online-Spielpartner für Conquest gesucht
tomsgamer17111

Re: Request for online fellow players (Conquest, 2-player)

Post by tomsgamer17111 »

Hi Klaus,

Update posted to same link. This includes smaller soldiers, a labeling option for the pieces (when you start a new game, you will be given a choice for labels or no labels), and color adjustment. There's also a substitution marker that shows two soldiers for when they are mounted on elephants, and is explained in the new help file.

All the best,
Tom
tomsgamer17111

Post by tomsgamer17111 »

Klaus,

Made another minor update to add a button to count the game turns.

All the best,
Tom
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hi Tom,

I'm very pleased. The Conquest module looks good!!
Two ideas:
1. The substitution marker (2 soldiers) should be on top of the stack. For now you have to click several times in order to push it to the top. If it isn't possible to change that it's better to place this marker besides the map. (4 markers a player). Then a player will take a marker in case he needs one.
2. the notation for a knight is N. (K is the sign for the Grand Conquest piece "catapult".)

Well done, Tom!

Kind regards

Klaus
Special Grand Conquest characters you could deeply need on www.conquest-forum.de :

π building
Δ catapult shot
Ω takeover of an enemy camel or ship
x capture/sinking of a ship
tomsgamer17111

Post by tomsgamer17111 »

Hi Klaus,

My thinking with the 2x Soldier is that when it is placed, players will need to remove the regular soldiers, which are still on top.
Once we can firm that up, I'll make another update (including an updated to the notation for Knight (N).
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

tomsgamer17111 wrote: My thinking with the 2x Soldier is that when it is placed, players will need to remove the regular soldiers, which are still on top.
I understand your intention now. Test it which way is the more convenient one referring to handling. The easier (fewer clicks) the better.
Do you plan to add further options to Conquest? What's possible in vassal, Tom? Anyway, it's a good improvement.
My vassalengine is running on Linux debian.

All the best

Klaus
Special Grand Conquest characters you could deeply need on www.conquest-forum.de :

π building
Δ catapult shot
tomsgamer17111

Post by tomsgamer17111 »

Hi Klaus,

I update the k(N)ight pieces, and clarified in the help file the best ways to use the 2x marker so players understand how it works and use as few clicks as is necessary. I also include another scenario that steps through turns 1-7 of a sample game from an old issue of Conquest Review. Unfortunately, there appear to have been either typos or errors in how the game was recorded, but I think the partial game (first 7 turns) will serve as a sufficient example of play. New file on my dropbox link.

Vassal was originally created to help with electronic play of the game "Advanced Squad Leader", a tactical level WWII wargame that is quite complex. As a result, Vassal has many features. Just to list a few:

Rotate pieces
Hide/invisibility
Cards
Layers (e.g. to indicate damage, special statuses)
Rotation of markers
Hex grids (and numbering/reporting of units moving along grids)
Area of effect (shade a group of hexes)

It also can be extended via custom programming (I'm not a programmer). The "docs" menu link at the top of the vassalengine.org page will include a link to developer documentation.

I suspect that this module in its current state should be good for a "version 1.0" effort. I'll go ahead and publish it to Vassal and let you know when it's available there. Getting in some games may present enhancement requests.

Linux? Are you a System Admin by profession? I work in IT in corporate Governance.
tomsgamer17111

Post by tomsgamer17111 »

The version 1 of the Conquest 2-player modules has been published to the Vassal site. You'll need to install Vassal, then download the game module.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Conquest
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Thank you very much for your effort, Tom!. You are opening up new possibilities for Conquest fans. That's great.
I have tested the new version of the module:
1. Honestly I'm not convinced that the handling of the 2x marker is smooth now. In my opinion it would be much easier to put some very little "2x" markers beside the map in reserve. If you need one you take one and drop it on top of the stack.
2. The signs "South" and "North" on the map for the guidance.
3. A timer (like a chess clock) would be great but I don't know whether it's possible on Vassal....

For those who don't want to install a JAVA-based software on Windows 10 I recommend to install the Vassal engine on Linux Debian. I'm not a system admin, I'm using Linux systems parallel to Windows via Virtualbox. I tested Vassal on Linux Ubuntu, too. Vassal on Ubuntu was not pleasing. But Vassal on Debian is running well!

π building
Δ catapult shot
tomsgamer17111

Post by tomsgamer17111 »

Hi Klaus,

I'll begin keeping a list of change requests and wait to see how users respond. I think that I can accommodate both the free placement of 2x markers (possibly other markers?) and a label for North/South.
According to the Vassal Development Map will include a chess clock for version 3.5.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Roadmap
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

tomsgamer17111 wrote:Hi Klaus,

... I can accommodate both the free placement of 2x markers (possibly other markers?) and a label for North/South.
I specify: very little "2x" markers (only the text "2x", no picture, smaller than the soldier marker, ); no other marker.
tomsgamer17111 wrote:According to the Vassal Development Map will include a chess clock for version 3.5.

http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Roadmap
That's great. Version 3.5 is the next greater update!

π building
Δ catapult shot