Klaus (North) vs Ottia (South) 04

Conquest-Partie für 2 Spieler
Klaus

Re: Klaus (North) vs Ottia (South) 04

Post by Klaus »

You have clairvoyant skills! My elephant is making himself comfortable on your recapturing galleon. It's big enough for him.
My galleon in the middle sea is sailing to the harbour 507. My other elephant and soldiers try to safeguard this galleon.
Turn 4, part 2
Attachments
Conquest Ottia - Klaus 04 turn4b N.jpg
Conquest Ottia - Klaus 04 turn4b N.jpg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 8859 times
Special Grand Conquest characters you could deeply need on www.conquest-forum.de :

π building
Δ catapult shot
Ω takeover of an enemy camel or ship
x capture/sinking of a ship
Ottia

Post by Ottia »

Sorry it took a bit to reply... well, I can't resist that lovely galleon. 11 points so far... can you take over captured ships even though it is not strictly a recapture?
Attachments
Conquest Ottia - Klaus 04 turn 04bS.jpg
Conquest Ottia - Klaus 04 turn 04bS.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 8777 times
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hi Ottia,

yes, I'm able to make a recapture by my soldier. It would have been much better if you had picked up an elephant by the ship at first and afterwards made the capture. Then the recapture by my soldier would have been impossible! You can continue...
I don't know whether you already noticed it that it's possible to play Conquest on http://www.vassalengine.org now thanks to Tom who made this module (see viewtopic.php?f=45&t=74). We could play by email and live, too!
Greetings
Klaus
Attachments
Conquest Ottia - Klaus 04 recap turn 5.jpg
Conquest Ottia - Klaus 04 recap turn 5.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 8696 times
Special Grand Conquest characters you could deeply need on www.conquest-forum.de :

π building
Δ catapult shot
Ottia

Post by Ottia »

Yes, that was quite an error... I'm still pretty green at this but I'll get there eventually. Well, nine more points and this finishes my turn 4.

I have downloaded the Vassal module but I haven't tried it yet. I wouldn't mind playing online but I haven't got a lot of time at the moment and I suspect that a Conquest game online could last several hours... it seems a game to be enjoyed in slow sips, planning everything carefully. If the Vassal module had some automation to count the used points in each move and reset it, that would be fantastic for live play.
Attachments
Conquest Ottia - Klaus 04 turn 04cS.jpg
Conquest Ottia - Klaus 04 turn 04cS.jpg (1.26 MiB) Viewed 8636 times
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hello Ottia,

sorry, but you have to redo the second part of your turn 5, because you are not able to move your boat (number 2) further. Your boat already consumed the possible 6 points in the first part of the turn 5. Your boat was located on space 738. And you haven't the right to recapture in your own turn in case you have thought that you could react after my capture.
So your boat has to stay.
Besides the boat you have moved your chariot + soldier. Altogether you spended 11 points in your second part, too! So redo this second part of turn 5.

I agree with you that we do more justice to a game like Conquest playing it slowly like the way we are doing it here. It was Andre, another member of this forum, who suggested in spring to create an online module of Grand Conquest. So I considered what's possible. In October Tom produced an online version of Conquest on vassalengine.org. Yes and I published the Grand Conquest module on the same platform yesterday! It wasn't so easy but it worked. One can use this module for online play and for playing by email/forum, too...
The players on vassalengine.org have to know the rules of a game! In this case much "automation" is not a realistic vision. You are playing online in the same way like on the physical board. No computer is counting for you... I asked this sort of question on the vassalengine.org forum some days ago. Nobody answered so far.

Kind regards
Klaus

π building
Δ catapult shot
Ottia

Post by Ottia »

After having had a long look at the game, I resign. I have no fleet left and my land units are far less than yours - it's just going to be long agony.

I apologise for the delay in moving - it hasn't been due to lack of will to play; I simply have been pretty busy these last two months and I haven't found the time to think the position through properly.

I would also like to give it some time before our next game. I have the feeling that for whatever the reason I can't retain the rules. I would like to read them carefully a good handful of times - when I feel that I remember all of it well, I will ask for another game. Revising moves at nearly every turn must be frustrating for you as well.

Anyway, it will be a pleasure when it comes. Many thanks for the game!
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Hi Ottia,

ok, two things I want to tell you:
- you could replay some former matches you find on this website. I think that's a good way to recognize the application of the rules and important strategies.
- I remember that you have downloaded the vassal software. Do me a favour and try to start the Grand Conquest module which you could download from vassalengine.org, too. Is it possible to start this module and move the pieces?
Andreloha, another user here, had asked for the development of such an online tool last year and now he stated that he couldn't start the Grand Conquest module.

You are invited to come back!

π building
Δ catapult shot
Ottia

Post by Ottia »

I finally found the time to download and test the Vassal module, it works perfectly for me (I have also just updated to the latest Vassal version).

I look forward to coming back, hopefully soon!