Recapture on a Player's turn limitation

Klärungsbedarf? Regelauslegung.
Andreloha

Recapture on a Player's turn limitation

Post by Andreloha »

A different interpretation on recapture allowance came out of a game between Klaus and I. This is not well spelled out in the rule and should be added, this is why I put it up here.

It seems that the Official rule interpretation. is that on a player's turn, a piece cannot retaliate to a recapture if the piece exceeds its maximum move for the turn, even if it is within 2 spaces of the recapture. It can though when it is not on his turn, even if the piece used his full movement during his turn, as when not during his turn it is irrelevant, but the number of moves limit applies during his turn even if trying to react to a recapture.

Another interpretation is that if replying to a recapture and within 2 spaces, the piece can retaliate but counts its moves in the total of 20. If no room in the 20, it cannot retake.

So unless agreed otherwise at the beginning of the game, the official interpretation is the rule.

Kind Regards
Andre
Last edited by Andreloha on 31 Oct 2017, 02:47, edited 1 time in total.
Klaus

Re: Recapture on a Player's turn limittation

Post by Klaus »

Let me quote the relevant sentences from the English rules book of Grand Conquest:
- 2-player-rule
...When you make a capture, you must stop and allow your opponent the option to retaliate (recapture) in any way possible in one or two
moves....After the recapture, you go on with the rest of your twenty moves...

4-player-rule

....A “recapture” is a defensive retaliatory capture made during an opponent’s turn. If you capture or commandeer an opponent’s piece
or vessel, you must stop and allow that opponent to capture (“recapture”) on that space....After the recapture, you go on with the rest of your twenty moves....

So in the 4-player-rules you find the decisive hint (red, my accentuation!). If it's your turn your opponent and only your opponent has the right to recapture after a capture.

But ok, you have played a little bit in another way. In this case one can find the necessary hint in the rules book. There might be some rare cases in which a look into the Puzzle Book will show up the solution. And there will be cases in which we have to discuss and decide.
Special Grand Conquest characters you could deeply need on www.conquest-forum.de :

π building
Δ catapult shot
Ω takeover of an enemy camel or ship
x capture/sinking of a ship
Andreloha

Re: Recapture on a Player's turn limitation

Post by Andreloha »

Thank you Klaus :)