Disembarking a soldier to board a ship

Klärungsbedarf? Regelauslegung.
Andreloha

Disembarking a soldier to board a ship

Post by Andreloha »

Hi Klaus,

Thank you for sharing your games, they are very interesting.
I have a question about a rule that you quote but I do not see in the rules book:

In a game against Monchhichi , you said
: a direct transfer between means of transportation (camel to boat) isn't possible
----------------------------
Re: Monchhichi (South) vs Klaus (North)

Postby Klaus » 14 Sep 2012, 15:35
Hello Monchhichi,

a direct transfer between means of transportation (camel to boat) isn't possible (Direktes Umsteigen zwischen Transportmitteln nicht möglich). In my opinion the camel has to stop on space 170. If you capture the galleon by your soldier afterwards I will do a recapture by the elephant.

Klaus
--------------------------------------

But in another game against Klepper1, it seems allowed from an elephant:

Re: Klepper1 (south) V's Klaus (North)

Postby Klaus » 30 Nov 2012, 21:52
Hello Owen,

I hope that you are not able to read my mind. But indeed it might be a good strategy to try it...

My third turn is following:

Gess 867 - 732 => 7
Ess732 x E130 => 5
Ess130 - 133 => 2
S133 x Gk704 =>

----------------------------------

I would think that the latter is good and that it is allowed for a soldier to disembark directly a chariot, an elephant or a camel at a port to capture a ship with that soldier.
Please confirm!
Thank you in advance for your help.
Kind Regards
Andre
Klaus

Re: Disembarking a soldier to board a ship

Post by Klaus »

Hello Andre,

in the rules book you find the following sentence regarding the moves of soldiers: "Mounting is done from a dismounted position only." So in general the soldier has to go two steps (spaces) if he wants to switch over to another means of transportation (elephant, chariot, camel). Or in other words: A direct transfer (one step move) between means of transportation isn't possible.
No rule without exception. In the puzzle book of Donald Benge there is an example that proved the direct switching (a one step move of the soldier) at a port(!) from a vessel to another means of transportation and vice versa. So at a port (if a vessel is involved) it's allowed according to Benge's description. I noticed this exception when I played against Monchhichi (I wrote in German:
"
Klaus wrote:Hallo Monchhichi,
da im Puzzle Buch zumindest ein Beispiel als Beleg dafür zu finden ist, dass das direkte Umsteigen von einem Transportmittel zu einem anderen, das im allgemeinen verboten ist, ausnahmsweise dann erlaubt ist, wenn ein Schiff beteiligt ist, werde ich die deutsche Regel in diesem Punkt etwas präzisieren.
and accepted Monchhichi's hint and move, even if he changed his moves nevertheless. Later when I played against Klepper1 I made moves according to this "exception", too.
So I agree with you: "it is allowed for a soldier to disembark directly a chariot, an elephant or a camel at a port to capture a ship ..."

I'm looking forward to your further contributions. State the discrepancies or begin new topics! And of course start a match! :D

Kind regards

Klaus
Special Grand Conquest characters you could deeply need on www.conquest-forum.de :

π building
Δ catapult shot
Ω takeover of an enemy camel or ship
x capture/sinking of a ship
Andreloha

Post by Andreloha »

Dear Klaus,

Thank you greatly for the clarification.
I used to know Conquest from many years ago when I bought the game as a gift for my friend who lived in Canada with me back then. We learned to play together. Now he lives in Japan and I visited him a few times and then we discovered Grand Conquest version existed. I bought the game and we played for the 1st time last June, we loved it a lot. We played with 4 players (trained 3 newcomers) and also 1 on 1 but on the 4 player board. We even used a chess clock to even thinking time for the 1 on 1. It was great :). I left him the game, and I bought a new one again so we both have one. I look forward to play online with him or anyone, time allowing. I never played the 2 player board game but it looks great fun watching some of your games. If you would like to start an email game, please let me know.

Also I noticed from your games that there are 2 boards, the one in the puzzle map is not the same as the one in the new game I received (also some sea places have the same number repeated 865,866) . Camel bridges and ship routes are different. Do you have an image of the official 2 players board with the numbering. I downloaded the GIMP tool but do not know how to use the layers yet to move pieces.

Kind Regards
Andre
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Dear Andre,

I'm delighted that you are coming in!! And in addition you are experienced in these games. Fantastic :-)
And probably you will bring your friend along. Super strike!
I upload an image of the 2-player-Grand Conquest-board which I label as standard on this website. Click on the image and it will be enlarged. Andre, please compare this image of the 2-player-board (standard) with the one you have bought.
If there isn't a difference then it's ok. In the other case if there are differences you could play the 2-player version of Grand Conquest nevertheless using the special tool which I offer on this website. But you don't have an exact physical board to get a better overall view. That could be a problem but a solvable...
Also it could be interesting to take the 4-player board (1 on 1) in that way you had played.
There is a short description of the tool here: http://www.conquest-forum.de/for/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=37 Did you read it? The pieces should be movable.
And of course we can begin a match soon!

Kind regards :-)
Klaus
Attachments
Grand Conquest 2P Num.jpg
Grand Conquest 2P Num.jpg (835.23 KiB) Viewed 7456 times
Special Grand Conquest characters you could deeply need on www.conquest-forum.de :

π building
Δ catapult shot
Andreloha

Post by Andreloha »

Dear Klaus,

Thank you.
I sent you an email to start a game. I don't know if you received it.

Kind Regards
Andre
Klaus

Post by Klaus »

Dear Andre,

I'm very pleased that we start our match, now. I received your email and send you the first moves. If you like it we could publish the moves here.

Kind regards

Klaus

π building
Δ catapult shot